HEADQUARTERS - CHELMSFORD
Mr Paul Stirland
23 Leys Road,
email - via the 'Contact Us' button displayed above.
Programme Secretary: Mrs Meryl Rawlings,
Contact may be made via the 'Contact Us' button shown above.
Each of our Branches has a volunteer contact (click on "Contact Us" at the top of the page) who is able to provide help and information to members by e-mail regarding the area covered by that Branch.
Our Chelmsford HQ covers the Central area of the County and the contact for these enquiries is Mrs Meryl Rawlings.
General Family History interest meetings are held in the Galleywood Heritage Centre on Galleywood Common, Margaretting Road, Chelmsford normally on the third Saturday each month, excepting August. These afternoon meetings commence at 2.00pm.
Tutorials/Technology talks, particularly aimed at beginners, are also held from 10.30am at the Centre on the same day. Topics will alternate between technology-based talks and general interest talks to aid those newer to family history research.
From time to time short talks/presentations of interest to members will be given starting at 12.45pm approx.
The Galleywood Centre is open from 10.00am and the first of our meetings begins at 10.30am. Refreshments are available at all times between talks. There is free parking at the Centre and an overflow area on the Common itself. A stall with the full range of CDs published by the Society is available as well as a Help and Information desk to assist you with your research.
Click here to see reports of recent meetings
- 10.30am Morning session: The Witch Craze in Essex in the 15th & 17th Centuries
by Christopher Thompson
- 2.00pm Afternoon session: The Victorian House
by Ann Wise
- 10.30am Morning session: Recognition and citizenship - but little advance - Essex Farm Workers 1870-1914
by Ted Woodgate
- 1.30pm Intermediate session: AGM - followed by ...
- 2.30pm Afternoon session: The 18th Century Members of the Petre Family
by Lord Petre
- 10.30am Morning session: Sun Life Insurance Records for the Family Historian
by Jeanette Rosenberg
- 2.00pm Afternoon session: The History of the Home Guard
by Neil Wiffen
- 10.30am Morning session: Understanding British Campaign Medals and Their Role in Family History Research
by John Sly
- 2.00pm Afternoon session: Family History Workshop with a team of experienced members ready to help you with advice/demonstrations on such as
Starting Your Family History, Family History Software, the GRO Database, Essex Record Office online, ESFH website, Find My Past, Ancestry, The Genealogist, Family Search, Wills, Find A Grave, DNA and much more.
- 10.30am Morning session: History of Pantomime
by Anita How
- 2.00pm Afternoon session: An eccentric look at the Country - this talk gives a unique & entertaining look at goings-on in rural England.
by Charlie Haylock
For further information about the programmes contact the Programme Secretary:
Mrs Meryl Rawlings via the 'Contact Us'. button above
Postal address etc - please see top of this page
Don't forget to look at the reports from some
of our recent meetings.
Last updated: 02/07/2019 09:41:48