In creating this site our policy has been to provide our members with useful databases and other material relating to Essex that can freely be searched on line. Our aim is also to encourage people with interests in Essex who are not yet members to join the Society and benefit from the free facilities that are available only to our members.
Our new site has now enabled us to introduce many new features for our members including:
- A Members Only Area which provides access to our collection of Parish Registers and Monumental Inscription transcriptions.
- An Essex Gazetteer which enables members to find that elusive place in Essex.
- An on-line archive of back issues of the Essex Family Historian magazine from the first issue in November 1974 is available to all members in the Members Only area.
- An electronic version of the latest issue of the "Essex Family Historian" which is available at a reduced membership subscription rate through our Members only pages. The electronic magazine is, of course, fully searchable on line with bookmark facilities. View a sample copy of the of the Issue 150 dated December 2013.
- A virtual shop which now provides facilities for the purchase of CDs and our services on line by credit/debit cards.
- Membership subscriptions can also be paid on line through our shop.
And much more ...
We hope you will find it a useful and enjoyable experience .
Our Society currently has over 1800 members worldwide and we invite you to join us and share all the benefits of becoming a member of our society for example:
- A quarterly copy of the Society magazine "The Essex Family Historian"
- Advice on researching your family history is available
- We undertake searches of Essex records available through our on line shop
- Our members have free on line access to our databases of Essex Parish Records and Monumental Inscriptions
- We have a Research Centre at our Chelmsford Headquarters which provides free access for our members to the "Find My Past" web site
- Membership of all our Local Branches in Colchester, Harlow, Saffron Walden and Southend on Sea as well as at our Headquarters in Chelmsford
- Opportunities to meet others with similar interests and share knowledge and experience in a friendly atmosphere
Our Society aims to promote and encourage the public study of British Family history, genealogy, heraldry, and local history with particular reference to Essex and to promote the preservation, and accessibility of archival material.
We attend many Family History Fairs in London and around the country. Please drop by to our stand. We are always glad to meet other Family Historians who share our love of Family History.
More details of the work of the Society are shown in our video.
For details of the constitution which governs the Society click here
Our records are not available on the web sites of any other Family History Societies.
Southend Old Pier
High Easter Church
River Blackwater from Heybridge Basin
Members Surname Interests
All members are able to update and advertise their own surname interests on line.
Visit our Online Shop
To join or renew membership on line, buy CD's, order Record searches and other goods and services.